Tuesday, December 6, 2011

God Spoke at the Rock and I heard the Voice of Two of His Angels

I got  a second chance to go back to NYC this last weekend. I felt a little more comfortable and a little bit more familiar with the area than my first time.  I had heard about the famous windows of the major retailers and wanted to check them out.  I was also aware of the famous Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center and wanted to go back and see it with all of its decorations, and not all of the scaffolding.

Now that I think of it, the contrast of my first trip versus this second trip plays rather well with a touching event that occurred as I was mingling within the crowd of tree gazers.

As I was staring up at the tree and its decorations, I heard the distinct sounding voice of an individual with a mental disability.  Please don't take this wrong, but sometimes the cadence, sentences and pronunciation of words from an individual with a disability is very telling.  And thus, I was touched by this individual's words, "See right there Micheal.  That's what we'll look like when we go see Jesus.  Do you see those angels right there, they're beautiful and perfect, and that's what we'll look like when we go see Jesus.  Do you see them, so pretty and perfect.  Yep, God's blessing will be on us and we'll get to look like that."  Another man next to the first, head cocked just so slightly off to the side and a little off balance responded to the first, "That sounds just about fine to me."

I asked the first man if the man standing next to him was his brother, or a friend, or ...?  "This here is my friend!"  The first proclaimed.

"Well God bless both of you, may God bless both you and your friend this Christmas."

"Well thank you very much.  Thank you"

And the three of us shook hands.  And I left to see the rest of the Christmas windows.

But these two men stuck in my head.  First, I was comforted by the fact that these two men were able to venture out on their own, together, to take in the sights of Christmas.  I was touched by their ability to not only see God in Christmas, but imagine His blessing upon them in a time to come.  I was comforted and touched because these were answers to questions I have been asking God myself.  Will my son be able to go out on his own and take in the sights of Christmas.  Perhaps not alone, but I pray that the Lord has an awesome friend for him to go out and see the world with.  Will my son ever be able to imagine God's blessing upon him?  Why not?  In fact, right now it makes me wonder what he thinks he will get to look like when he goes to see Jesus.  Oh man, the wonders that could be going on right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment