Monday, March 5, 2012

Huh?

Ok,
I have to admit, sometimes, I don't get it.  For those of you out there in cyber world with a child with autism, you know what I mean when I say I get it.  Its an odd world, you have to walk in similar shoes to understand.

Just recently, my oldest son said something that I had no idea how to respond.

To begin this story you have to first understand that he is a very lean child.  I mean skinny.  Thin as a rail.  Tall for his age and we can't find a pair of pants that adjusts tight enough around his skinny little waste to keep them up.  No hips either, the legs run straight into his torso with no bump in between.  I almost think his little behind could fit into the palm of my hand.  Not saying that I have checked and measured this to confirm it, but, its equally tiny.

So, when he announced the other day that he was going to start eating more so he could grow bigger, we were thrilled.  We started wondering what kind of fat producing foods we could start feeding him to give his body some definition.  We used this desire to even introduce new foods into his diet.  When a, "yech that's gross" statement popped out, we followed it with a, "true, but it will help you grow bigger."

But then one evening over dinner I had to ask,"why do you want to grow bigger?"  It had finally tugged in my brain that this was a new desire and we hadn't inquired into what had sparked the new interest.  The response to this question is what has left me a bit speechless.   My son said," because I am too skinny here (and then indicated his chest) I need to be wider here so that I can grow breasts.  I am too skinny here for breasts.  When I have a baby I need to have breasts and I am too skinny here to have breasts."

Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment